Ben:
May, did you understand everything I said just now? Do you need more explanation?

阿美,我刚才说的你都懂了吗?你还需要解释吗?
May:
Err…almost? I just need more time to reflect it.

嗯,差不多。我只是需要更多的时间来复习。
Ben:
It's OK. Just let me know when you have a problem.

好的,要是有什么问题就问我。
May:
But you've explained it three times. Oh, I am so stupid!

但是你已经解释三次了。我真笨啊!
Ben:
Don't lose heart, May. You have already made great progress in your biology.

别灰心,阿美。你的生物已经进步很多了。
May:
Really? Did I?

真的吗?我进步了吗?
Ben:
Of course you did! You are making progress everyday, bit by bit, but you just cannot see it or feel it.

当然!你每天都在进步,一点一点地,只是你没有看到或没有感觉到。
May:
Dad, do you think I can get in Tsinghua University? I'm afraid it is a tough call for me.

爸爸,你认为我能考上清华大学吗?我怕我做不到。
Ben:
Getting into Tsinghua is very competitive. You must study ten times harder than others. Why do you want to go to Tsinghua?

考清华的竞争会很激烈。你必须要付出比别人多十倍的努力。你为什么想考清华呀?
May:
Tsinghua is the top university in China. Half of my classmates want to go to Tsinghua.

清华是全国最好的大学呀。我们班一半的同学都想考清华。
Ben:
It's best only when it fits you. I don't advise you to go to Tsinghua. Though it ranks top in China, it doesn't fit you.

只有适合自己的才是最好的。我不建议你考清华。虽然它是中国顶尖高校,但是它不适合你。
May:
You think so? Why?

你真这样想?为什么?
Ben:
Don't you always want to study Chinese literature? Tsinghua is not good for that. I suggest you apply for Peking University.

你不是一直想学中国文学吗?清华在那方面并不是很强。我建议你考北京大学。
May:
Dad, you are right. Tsinghua is the best, but it isn't a fit for me. But do you really think I can get in Peking University? What if I failed?

嗯,是这样的。清华是最好的,但是它并不适合我。但是你真的认为我能考上北大吗?如果没考上怎么办?
Ben:
Of course you can! No matter what the result is, the process is more important.

你肯定行!不管结果怎样,过程更重要。