May:
Hi, Gary, how are things going with you recently?

嗨,盖瑞。最近怎么样?
Gary:
Not bad. I only have a few classes everyday. I just attended a lecture about uniforms this morning.

还不错,我们每天的课不多。今天早上我听了一场关于着装的讲座。
May:
A lecture on uniforms? Interesting. I am going to write a thesis on the role of uniforms in the economic life. Maybe you can give me some advice.

关于着装的讲座?有趣,我正想写一篇关于在经济生活中,商务着装的作用的论文。说不定你可以给我一些建议。
Gary:
But didn't you study economics in school?

你在学校不学经济学吗?
May:
Yes, that's the homework of my elective course.

学啊,那是我选修课的内容。
Gary:
I see. I really learned a lot from the lecture. I didn't know how important the uniform was for a company.

知道了,我在讲座中学到了不少东西。我原来不知道着装对于一个公司的重要性。
May:
Can you tell me more about that?

你能多说点那方面的东西吗?
Gary:
Sure. Uniform is the representative of a company. Different professions will choose different colors for their uniforms.

好啊,制服代表的是公司的形象。不同的行业会选择不同的制服。
May:
The doctors wear white, firefighters wear red, and the police wear blue?

医生穿白色,消防队员穿红的,警察穿蓝的。
Gary:
Right. The professions you mentioned are all in public sectors. They can't change their uniforms. For private companies, they have more choices.

嗯,你所说的都是公关服务单位,他们的制服是不能变的。但对于私企来说,他们会有更多的选择。
May:
Why do most people wear uniforms when they are at work?

为什么大家在工作的时候要穿制服啊?
Gary:
So they can always be aware that they are members of their organization. What they do and what they say all represent that company. Most companies require their employees to wear uniforms at work.

这样可以使他们意识到自己是属于一个团队。他们一言一行都代表了公司的形象。大部分公司都会要求员工穿统一的制服。
May:
That makes people feel formal, right?

那样显得比较正式,对吧?
Gary:
Right, employees must also pay attention to their speaking manners. They should use polite and formal languages when talking to the customers and supervisors.

是的,雇员应该特别注意他们的说话方式。当跟客人和领导说话时,他们被要求使用礼貌用语和正式言语。
May:
Can't they speak with slang, jokes, or dialects?

他们不能说俚语,开玩笑或者用方言吗?
Gary:
Better not. And it's necessary to learn how to listen to the listeners. Sometimes, listening is more important than speaking.

最好不要。而且学会怎样倾听也是十分重要的。有时听比说更重要。
May:
There seems to be lots of things to learn in the office.

看起来在工作当中还有很多需要学习的东西。