汤姆:
Did you prepare for the proficiency test?



你准备英语能力测验了吗?
罗斯:
I wanted to, but I didn`t know how. I guess I`ll just have to do my best.



我想准备.但是不知道从何做起.我想我只好尽力而为了.
汤姆:
I don`t think there`s really any way to prepare.



我实在不知道该怎么准备.
罗斯:
No-no way to cram.



是啊!根本没办法恶补.
汤姆:
Don`t you feel worried?



你难道不担心吗?
罗斯:
Hey, the exam is supposed to test our English ability, not how well we can stay up cramming the night before the test.



嘿.这次考试是用来测试我们的英文能力.而不是测验我们考试前一晚恶补的成效有多好.
汤姆:
Well, that may be so -..



嗯.或许如此--
罗斯:
It is. And doing poorly is not necessarily a bad thing.



的确是这样.而且考不好也不见得是件坏事.
汤姆:
But if we do poorly, we`ll have to take special classes.



但如果我们考不好.我们就得上一些特殊的课.
罗斯:
Yes, but we`ll need those classes. If we do poorly on the test, then we do need extra work.



是的.可是我们需要上那些课.如果我们考不好.那我们就得多用功.
汤姆:
That`s true, I guess. Classes are going to be difficult even for native speakers.



我觉得有道理.有些课即使是美国人也会觉得难.
罗斯:
And they`re going to be murder for anyone whose English isn`t up to par.



而任何英文不够好的人都会觉得痛苦万分.
汤姆:
You can say that again.



完全同意
罗斯:
Why don`t we join an English club to practice English conversation?



我们加入英语俱乐部来练习英语会话.如何?
汤姆:
Good idea! That would be a great way to meet people.



好主意!那倒是交际的好方法.
罗斯:
And work on our English.



而且还可以练习英文.
汤姆:
Well, that, too. Anyway, here we are.



那倒也是.我们到了.
罗斯:
Yep. I need to head upstairs to room two-o-three. I`ll see you after class.



嗯.我要去楼上203教室.考试后见.
汤姆:
OK, good luck!



好啦.祝你好运!
罗斯:
You, too!



你也是.