Ann:
Hello, Let me give you a test. 

嗨,让我考考你吧.
Lily:
Ok, just let it out. 

好啊,说吧。
Ann:
This morning, my teacher asked us why trees are round not square. Do you know why? 

今天早上,我的老师问我们说,树为什么是圆的而不是方的呢?你知道为什么吗?
Lily:
Let me see. I think it is just the order of the nature. They are born round. 

让我想想。我想这是自然规律吧,树木天生就是圆的啊!
Ann:
Yeah, I know, but why they are cut out in round shape. 

嗯,我知道。但为什么天生就是圆的呢?
Lily:
Err, sorry, I can’t figure it out. Could you give me a hint? 

呃,抱歉,我还是想不出来. 能不能给点提示啊?
Ann:
Have you ever found that the corners of the square things always damage easily? 

你有没有发现正方形的东西的角都很容易损坏呢?
Lily:
Yes, some of the corners even have been rounded off. 

对啊,有的角甚至还被磨圆了呢。
Ann:
The trees are born round so that they can protect themselves. 

所以,树木是因为要保护自己才会长成圆的。
Lily:
I got it, the survival of the fittest. 

我明白了。适者生存嘛。


