朱迪:
Jane, could you come to help me for a minute, please?



简.请你帮个忙好吗?
简:
Sure. Just name it.



当然.说吧.
朱迪:
This is my pay check, but I don`t understand some of the terms used here.



这是我的工资支票.可是我不懂上面的一些术语.
简:
OK,let me tell you. You see, this pay check is divided into two parts by a line of dots. The upper half is a check and the lower half is a pay stub.



我来告诉你.你看这张工资支票由一条线分成两部分.上半部分是支票.下半部分是工资单存根.
朱迪:
But what`s the use of the pay stub?(=what`s the pay stub for?)



可是工资单存根有什么用?
简:
It`s a record of your pay and deductions. You can check it to make sure that your pay is correct.



那是一份有关你的工资及扣款记录.你可以检查一下以确定你的工资额是否正确.
朱迪:
I see. Erm, can you tell me what regular hours mean?



我明白了.嗯.你能不能告诉我“固定时间”是什么意思?
简:
Well, of course. Regular hours refer to the hours you`re required to work each week, while overtime hours refer to the extra hours you work besides regular hours.



哦.当然可以.固定时间指的是每星期你按要求需要工作的时间.而加班时间指固定时间以外工作的时间.
朱迪:
Then regular pay is the pay for regular hours, and overtime pay is the pay for extra hours.Right?



那么固定工资就是固定时间的报酬.而加班工资就是加班工作的工资.对吗?
简:
Yes. And gross pay is the total pay before deductions. We also call it total earnings.



对.另外.毛工资是扣款前的总工资.我们称他为总收入.
朱迪:
I guess net pay is the total pay after deductions. Is that correct?



我想净工资就是扣款以后的总工资.对吗?
简:
Clever you are! And it`s also called talk-home pay.



你真聪明!它也叫实得工资.
朱迪:
I see.Thanks, Jane.



我明白了.谢谢你.简.
简:
No problem. Remember to check the pay stub before you cash the check.



不用谢.兑现支票前记住核对一下你的工资单存根.