May:
There are so many people that the tickets are all sold out!

人太多了,票都卖完了。
Daniel:
Luckily we got the last two.

幸好我们买了最后两张。
May:
Look, Danny. The Four Great Inventions!

看,丹尼,四大发明!
Daniel:
Gunpowder, compass, the paper making, and the printing.

火药、指南针、造纸术和印刷术。
May:
I really admire those who made such great inventions!

我真崇拜这些伟大的发明者。
Daniel:
May, I don't see why they are great. They are just simple things.

阿美,我不明白有什么伟大的。它们只是些很简单的东西啊。
May:
They look simple today. But they were milestones in their times.

它们今天看起来很简单。但在它们那个时代却是里程碑。
Daniel:
Milestones? May, you must be kidding.

里程碑?阿美,你在开玩笑吧。
May:
Just think Bill Gates, those inventions are as important as the windows system.

想想比尔?盖茨,那些发明的重要性不亚于Windows 操作系统。
Daniel:
Well, I suppose the ancient inventors made a lot of money out of them.

我想古代的发明家们肯定从它们身上赚了不少钱吧。
May:
No, quite the contrary.

不,恰恰相反。
Daniel:
Why? Didn't you say that they were milestones?

为什么?你不是说它们是里程碑吗?
May:
Yes, but they went to the public without any patent protection.

是啊,但是它们没有任何专利保护就进入市场了。
Daniel:
Well, their inventors were not as clever as Bill Gates.

哦,它们的发明者可没有比尔?盖茨那么聪明啊。